**** NEW MEMBERS *****
Every practice session this year we are making a “GIVE IT A GO Evening”. These evenings are specially designed for blokes who have no experience of dancing and would like to try their hand (or feet to be more precise!!) at a new challenge.
We meet every Monday evening at 8 pm from September to April (excluding those around Christmas and Easter!)
If you fullfil most of the following criteria:
- you are male
- old enough to go into pubs!
- passably fit
- reasonably coordinated
- are interested in, or would like to know more about, the English folk song, folk music and dance traditions,
please come along to any of our practices and we’ll introduce you to “The Morris”!
P.S. If you can sing or play a musical instrument that is a bonus. It doesn’t matter if you’ve never tried “the Morris” before, full instructions are given, we cater for absolute beginners, and it costs absolutely nothing to join. We aim to have all new recruits being able to do 2 or 3 dances (at least) in their first year with us.
We meet on each Monday evening from 8.00 to 9.30pm at:
14 Christchurch Park,
Sutton SM2 5TN
Our practice session is followed by a pint (optional!) at our preferred local pub, The Hope in Carshalton. [This pub was voted the best in the Croydon & Sutton area for 4 years and in Greater London 2012 and 2013 by CAMRA.]
What to do next.
Go on, take up this fulfilling pastime and join East Surrey Morris Men. If you are interested in joining us you can do one (or more) of the following things:
- just come along to one of our practice nights to see what we do and how we do it. NOTE: our Squire has promised to buy all new recruits a free drink in the pub after their first practice night!
- email the Squire or Bagman for further information (see contact details),
- if you’re reading this anytime between May and September, come out to any one of our summer performances and make yourself known to one of the men.
- Complete the form and we’ll get back to you.
Dave Stewart (Squire)
Clayton Francis (Bagman)
Dave Shires (Foreman)
These are men who used to be regular dancers with the side but subsequently moved away. They now dance with us very occasionally, but have all turned out in “East Surrey” colours at some point during the last dancing year.